Below are a list of "frequently asked questions" about the vicinity and local amenities:
1) Where are the closest schools in the area?
Answer: We are very fortunate to have many schools within walking distance and/or fully accessible by the TTC:
A) St. Isaac Jogues Catholic School (JK-8) - 1330 York Mills Road, North York, Ontario. M3A 1Z8. (416-393-5315)
B) Saint Madeline French Immersion (JK-6) - 1, Promenade Ness, North York ,Ontario. M3A 2W1 (416-393-5312)
C) Roywood Elementary Public School (JK -5) - 11 Roywood Drive, North York, Ontario. M3A 2C7 (416-395-2830)
D) Fenside Public School: (JK -5) - 131 Fenside Drive, North York, Ontario, M3A 2V9 ( 416-395-2400)
E) Donview Middle School (grades 6-8) - 20 Evermede Drive, North York, Ontario, M3A 2S3 (416-395-2330)
F) Annunciation Elementary Catholic School (French Immersion available from grades 5-8) - 65 Avonwick Gate, North York, Ontario. M3A 2M8 (416-393-5299)
G) Victoria Park Collegiate - 15 Wallingford Road. Scarborough, Ontario. M3A 2V1 (416-395-3310)
H) Crestwood Preparatory College - (Private School-grades 7-12 ) - 217 Brookbanks Drive, North York, Ontario. M3A 2T7 (416-391-1441)
I) Wexford Collegiate Institute (School for the Arts) - 1176 Pharmacy Avenue, Toronto, Ontario. M1R 2H7 (416-396-6874)
J) Senator O'Connor Collegiate ( Extended French ) - 60 Rowena Drive, North York, Ontario. M3A 2M5 (416-393-5505)
2) Is the TTC close by?
Answer: The TTC bus stops are conveniently located in front of both our buildings. This 24 hour York Mills bus (bus # 95) runs every 7 minutes on weekdays and every 10 minutes on weekends. It drives directly to the York Mills Subway Station which is located at the corner of Yonge Street and York Mills Road. The bus ride takes approximately 23 minutes.
If you prefer however, you can always walk to Victoria Park and take the Victoria Park bus (bus# 24) south to Victoria Park Station. This ride will take you approximately 30 minutes.
3) Are there any malls or shopping centers close by?
Answer: Within walking distance, we have two shopping centers at your convenience:
1) To the east, at the corner of Victoria Park and Ellesmere, (about a 5 minute walk), there is Parkway Mall. Here you will find many great stores and restaurants for your convenience. (Staples, Tim Horton's, Mc Donald's Playplace, Dominion, Payless Shoes, Reitman's, Fitness One, Pet Value, Money Mart, Liquor Store, Beer Store, Coin Car Wash, Benjamin Moore)
2) Just steps away to the west, there is Parkwoods Plaza which has a great selection of convenient, popular stores and restaurants. (Food Basics, Shoppers Drug Mart & Post Office( open until midnight ), Pizza Pizza, Dollar Store, Hair-dresser, Barber, Alterations and Shoe repair,Tavern, Chinese Restaurant, Karate School, Gas Station and Car Wash..)
3) Slightly further away ( 10 minute drive, but totally accessible by TTC( Don Mills Subway Station) ), a very large mall called Fairview Mall will provide a higher end of stores that will surely meet everyone's tastes and styles. (The Bay, Sears, The Gap, Disney Store, West 49, La Senza, Movie Theatres, etc.)This mall is located on the corner of Don Mills Road and Sheppard Ave.
4) What are the closest hospitals?
Answer: The closest hospitals would be:
A) Scarborough Grace Hospital - ( Birchmount Rd., just North of Finch ) - 3030 Birchmount Road, Scarborough, Ontario, M1W 3W3. (416-495-2400.)
B) North York General Hospital - (Leslie St. and Sheppard Ave. ) - 4001 Leslie St., Toronto, Ontario, M2K 1E1. ( 416-756-6000)
C) Rouge Valley Centenary Hospital - ( Neilson Rd. and Ellesmere ) - 2867 Ellesmere Rd., Scarborough, Ontario. ( 416-281-7315)
D) Scarborough General Hospital - ( Lawrence Ave. and Mc Cowan Rd ) - 3050 Lawrence Avenue East, Scarborough, Ontario. M1P 2V5 ( 416-438-2911)
5) Where are the closest grocery chains?
Answer: We are fortunate to have two large grocery stores within walking distance. A 24 Hour Dominion is located in Parkway Mall which is situated at the corner of Victoria Park and Ellesmere. Plus there is a Food Basics located in Parkway Plaza which is about a 3 minute walk west.
6) Where is the closest police station?
Toronto Police Service , 33 Division , 50 Upjohn Rd., Toronto, Ontario. M3B 2W1 - Tel: 416-808-3300 Fax: 416-808-3302
7) Where are the closest churches located?
A) Annunciation ( Catholic ) - 3 Combermere Drive, North York, Ontario.M3A 2W4 (416-445-1760)
B) Parkwoods United Church - 83 Parkwoods Village Drive, North York, Ontario (416-447-5519)
C) Victoria Park Associated Presbyterian Church - 2712 Victoria Park Ave., North York, Ontario. M2J 4A7 (416-491-9778)
8) Where are the closest libraries?
A) Brookbanks Public Library - 210 Brookbanks Drive, North York, Ontario. M3A 2T7 (416-395-5480)
B) Parkway Public Library - Located inside "Parkway Plaza" which is located on the corner of Victoria Park Ave. and Ellesmere.
9) Where are the closest banks?
A) Scotiabank (Victoria Park/Ellesmere) -3 Ellesmere Road, Scarborough, Ontario. M1R 4B7. (416-448-7000)
B) Royal Bank (Kennedy/Ellesmere) - 1421 Kennedy Road. Scarborough, Ontario. M1P 2L6. (416-288-6800)
C) Bank of Montreal (Sheppard/Victoria Park) - 2450 Sheppard Ave. E., Willowdale, Ontario. M2J 1X1 (416-490-0089)
D) TD Canada Trust (Ellesmere/Victoria Park) - 85 Ellesmere Road, Scarborough, Ontario. M1R 4B7. (416-441-2041)
E) CIBC (Sheppard/Victoria Park) - 2904 Sheppard Ave., North York, Ontario. M1T 3J4. (416-491-4546)
F) CIBC (Ellesmere/Victoria Park) - 85 Ellesmere Road, #40, Scarborough, Ontario. M1R 4B7. (416-449-4896)
10) Are there any parks close by?
Brookbanks Park is situated directly behind #70 Parkwoods Village Drive. There is a playground for the children and a jogging track, for those fitness enthusiasts. This dog friendly park has a central paved path which makes it ideal for biking, jogging or walking. The path winds its way through a picturesque , wooded ravine setting.